Secret Beach Koh Phangan, in Thai known as Haad Son, is one of the best beaches of Koh Phangan and located on the West Coast of the island. In general, the western part of Koh Phangan is quiet and most suitable for couples, yoga and vegan lovers and families. There is a relaxing vibe without the party madness of the southern tip of Koh Phangan. Secret Beach is a great place to spend a day or afternoon. Read in this blog post everything you need to know about Secret beach Koh Phangan!
Best Koh Phangan tours
Besides exploring the best Koh Phangan beaches, there are also lots of other fun activities to do to explore the lush, untouched island. There are many tours to book, below are the ones I highly recommend. All of these tours include certified guides and for the adventurous activities also accident insurance. You can reserve now and pay later, with cancellation up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
- Private One day road trip around Koh Phangan. Hop in an airconditioned SUV car and explore the most beautiful parts of Koh Phangan in this private 7 hour tour.
- ATV Jungle Safari Tour Koh Phangan. Experience a completely off-road adventure and explore the vibrant jungle and panoramic viewpoints of Koh Phangan.
- 2 hours Jet Ski Safari Tour in Koh Phangan. Go for a speedy adventure in Koh Phangan and explore the beautiful waters and coastline while feeling the rush of adrenaline.
- Koh Phangan 7 hour beach discovery tour. Discover the best and most hidden beaches around Koh Phangan or customize your own program within 7 hours to explore the best of Koh Phangan island.
- Off-road trip tour in a 4×4 truck around Koh Phangan. Explore the mountain jungle and hidden beaches of Koh Phangan during this off road adventure tour in a 4×4 truck.
- One day trip to AngThong Marine park by speedboat including lunch. Explore Ang Thong National Marine Park in a speed boat from Koh Phangan and swim, snorkel and kayak to explore the beautiful National Park.
- Sailing Yacht experience to AngThong Marine Park & Koh Phangan 3 days/2 nights. Sailing, fishing, swimming, kayaking, eating, watching the sunset and much more during this 3 day 2 night sailing yacht tour around AngThong Marine Park.
- PADI Open Water Diver Course in Koh Phangan. Get your PADI Open Water Diver Certification in 3 days. This package includes 4 Open Water Dives, all required learning materials, dive equipment and resort transfers.
How to get to Secret Beach Koh Phangan
Located on the west coast of Koh Phangan, Secret Beach is 10 kilometres north of Thong Sala. The best way to get around in Koh Phangan is by renting a motorbike. It gives you the most freedom to go and stop wherever you want. But if you’re not confident enough driving a motorbike, then you can also get around by Thongsaw, the half open pick up taxi’s driving around. Secret beach is easy to find on Google Maps. Along the road you will find a sign with “Secret Beach” which indicates the right turn off to the beach. The parking is free and through a lush green cute sandy path you will enter the beautiful Secret beach Koh Phangan.
You can get to Koh Phangan only by ferry as the island has no airport. The ferry goes from Koh Samui to Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. The nearest airport to Koh Phangan is the international airport on Koh Samui. Surat Thani on the mainland, also has an airport from where you can take the ferry to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.
An aerial perspective of Secret beach from both sides
What to expect at Secret Beach Koh Phangan
This beautiful white sand paradise beach is a small bay from about 200-300 meters long. The beach is perfect for tanning as there is a variation in natural shadow or full in the sunshine. Although Secret Beach is not that secret anymore, the ambience of this hidden gem is just perfect. The huge palm trees provide cool shade and there is mostly a sea breeze present. The blue turquoise sea water is very calm and perfect for swimming. If you walk a bit into the sea you will discover a great are to swim. Secret beach is also one of the best spots for snorkeling in Koh Phangan.
Besides all this active stuff, there is also one chill beach bar on the beach where you can order food and drinks. But another place you have to check out when visiting Secret beach Koh Phangan, is the Koh Raham restaurant and bar. Read below more about this insta worthy restaurant which is a perfect spot to watch the sunset!
The Secret beach swing
Koh Raham restaurant – Secret beach
One of the spots you can’t miss on Secret beach is the Koh Raham restaurant and bar, part of the Haad Son resort. It is one of the cutest beach bars of Koh Phangan. Located on the right edge of Secret Beach, this bar is truly unique with its tropical interior, swings, hammocks and colourful lights in the trees. The restaurant stretches out to the cliffs from where you will have an amazing view of the sea and beach. The cute hammocks invite you to just chill and take some insta worthy tropical paradise pictures. So if you visit Secret Beach, this is definitely a bar where you want to relax and enjoy a drink or lunch!
Koh Raham restaurant Secret beach
Koh Raham restaurant is a great spot to watch the sunset and hang out
Snorkeling at Secret Beach Koh Phangan
The best spot for snorkelling at Secret Beach is near the cliffs at Koh Raham restaurant. If you jump into the water near the sign “diving spot” you will be immediately surrounded by corals and many fish. Even turtles have been spotted sometimes. If you don’t have your own snorkel set you can borrow one for 100 Baht directly at the Koh Raham restaurant.
There is enough natural shade under the trees on the beach
Koh Phangan weather
The island has a dry season and a very wet season. The weather of Koh Phangan basically has three seasons; the horrid monsoon season which is luckily short, the drier season and a hot season which has frequent heavy showers. The dry season lasts from late December through to March, with February as driest month. These months are also the main tourist season of Koh Phangan. The peak season weather is hot, bright and not too humid. Just perfect for lounging on the island’s fantastic beaches. From April until September there are some chances of downpours, alternated with bright blue skies. We were in Koh Phangan in June and only had some rain during the evening or night. The monsoon season which arrives from the south west, strikes between September and mid November. These are the months to avoid going to Koh Phangan.
More Koh Phangan travel inspiration
I hope you enjoyed this complete guide about Secret beach Koh Phangan.
For more Koh Phangan travel inspiration, head over to these blog posts:
For more travel inspiration to Koh Tao, head over to these blog posts:
Is your plan to travel to Koh Samui? Then read this blog for all the best things to do in Koh Samui.