One of the best spots on Koh Phangan to chill and watch the sunset is from Amsterdam Bar. Facing West and perched on a cliff, you will have an amazing 180 degrees view on the ocean. As Dutchies of course we had to check out the Amsterdam Bar! It turned out we didn’t check it out once, but came back to the Amsterdam Bar Koh Phangan several times because of the chill vibes, amazing view and good cocktails! It is the best way to relax after a day exploring the best Koh Phangan beaches or maybe you did a hike on the island?! Read in this blog post everything you need to know before you go to Amsterdam Bar Koh Phangan!
Best Koh Phangan tours
Besides relaxing in Koh Phangan, there are also lots of fun activities to explore the lush, untouched island. There are many tours to book, below are the ones I highly recommend. All of these tours include certified guides and for the adventurous activities also accident insurance. You can reserve now and pay later, with cancellation up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
- Private One day road trip around Koh Phangan. Hop in an airconditioned SUV car and explore the most beautiful parts of Koh Phangan in this private 7 hour tour.
- ATV Jungle Safari Tour Koh Phangan. Experience a completely off-road adventure and explore the vibrant jungle and panoramic viewpoints of Koh Phangan.
- 2 hours Jet Ski Safari Tour in Koh Phangan. Go for a speedy adventure in Koh Phangan and explore the beautiful waters and coastline while feeling the rush of adrenaline.
- Koh Phangan 7 hour beach discovery tour. Discover the best and most hidden beaches around Koh Phangan or customize your own program within 7 hours to explore the best of Koh Phangan island.
- Off-road trip tour in a 4×4 truck around Koh Phangan. Explore the mountain jungle and hidden beaches of Koh Phangan during this off road adventure tour in a 4×4 truck.
- One day trip to AngThong Marine park by speedboat including lunch. Explore Ang Thong National Marine Park in a speed boat from Koh Phangan and swim, snorkel and kayak to explore the beautiful National Park.
- Sailing Yacht experience to AngThong Marine Park & Koh Phangan 3 days/2 nights. Sailing, fishing, swimming, kayaking, eating, watching the sunset and much more during this 3 day 2 night sailing yacht tour around AngThong Marine Park.
- PADI Open Water Diver Course in Koh Phangan. Get your PADI Open Water Diver Certification in 3 days. This package includes 4 Open Water Dives, all required learning materials, dive equipment and resort transfers.
How to get to Amsterdam Bar Koh Phangan
Located on the west coast of Koh Phangan and only a 10 minute drive from Thong Sala, Amsterdam Bar Koh Phangan is super easy to reach. Once you arrive at the entrance of the road you have to drive up a steep hill until you reach the parking area. You can park your scooter for free and head up to one of the best bars in Koh Phangan to watch the sunset! You have to climb some steps until you finally reach the bar, but we can assure you, it’s totally worth it!
What to expect at Amsterdam Bar Koh Phangan
Amsterdam Bar consists of two stories where you can chill and have a drink. On the lower level you will find the swimming pool, although it looked a bit dirty during the time we were there. Just decide for yourself if you want to take a dip in There are no real seats but both levels have cushions where you can sit or lay on while enjoying the sunset. It’s a really layed back and chill place for backpackers but also family friendly. With reggae music and good vibes you will feel completely chill on a true paradise island. You can order juices, cocktails, beers, something to smoke and they also have food and snacks.
Although it’s not the very best food we had on the island, the view and sunset makes it all good. If you want a really good and cheap Thai meal, I would recommend you to go to Thong Sala Night Market. Or read about the best Koh Phangan restaurants here.
When twilight hits, the staff will light up the torches which gives such a magical feeling in combination with the colorful sky.
The upper level features only a terrace which overlooks the lower level with the pool. It depends where there is space to sit, but both levels are perfect to watch the incredible sunset. We personally found the lower level better, also for pictures, as your view doesn’t get blocked by the lower level. Because both levels are always busy we would recommend to get to Amsterdam Bar around 4.30PM so you have a good chance of getting a good spot.
Opening times Amsterdam Bar
The opening times are from 12PM until 1AM. It’s the perfect afternoon hang out spot as it might get hot during the day. We also got to the Amsterdam Bar one day around 3PM and it was very quiet but also very hot. It’s clear that most people arrive here for the amazing sunset!
What more has Amsterdam Bar Koh Phangan to offer
If you really love this spot, the view and you want to be close to the Amsterdam Bar, you might even consider to rent one of the bungalows! Perched on the hillside and next to the bar are some cute bungalows available for rent. These little houses are very popular as you will then have the best sunset spot on the island!
Koh Phangan weather
The island has a dry season and a very wet season. The weather of Koh Phangan basically has three seasons; the horrid monsoon season which is luckily short, the drier season and a hot season which has frequent heavy showers. The dry season lasts from late December through to March, with February as driest month. These months are also the main tourist season of Koh Phangan. The peak season weather is hot, bright and not too humid. Just perfect for lounging on the island’s fantastic beaches or doing some of the amazing 6 hikes on Koh Phangan. From April until September there are some chances of downpours, alternated with bright blue skies. We were in Koh Phangan in June and only had some rain during the evening or night. The monsoon season which arrives from the south west, strikes between September and mid November. These are the months to avoid going to Koh Phangan.
The amazing sunset view from Amsterdam Bar
More Koh Phangan travel inspiration
We hope you enjoyed our complete guide about Amsterdam Bar on Koh Phangan.
If you want to read more about Koh Phangan, head over to these blog posts:
For more travel inspiration to Koh Tao, head over to these blog posts:
Is your plan to travel to Koh Samui? Then read this blog for all the best things to do in Koh Samui