Funchal is the charming capital of Madeira Island with many great places to eat. If you’re looking for the best restaurants in Funchal, the this is the guide you need! From the best breakfast in Funchal, to great vegetarian restaurants in Funchal and delicious places to have dinner in Funchal, they’re all in this guide! The food in Madeira is generally focussed on meat with the famous espetada as must try if you’re a meat lover. But there are also great places to eat sushi in Funchal or to enjoy a fine dining experience with wonderful ocean views. Let’s dive into the best restaurants in Funchal!
12 BEST FUNCHAL RESTAURANTS
Best lunch & breakfast in Funchal – Vegan restaurants in Funchal
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it’s the first food of the day you fuel your body with. For a day of exploring Madeira Island or Funchal, you’ll need a good base to get going. Expect to walk a lot on Madeira, so eat breakfast like a king! There are a few restaurants in Funchal which we absolutely love to eat breakfast or have lunch. The restaurants listed below are not only great for breakfast and lunch in Funchal, but they also offer vegan options on the menu. One of them is even a completely vegan restaurant.
Prima Caju is one of our favourite restaurants in Funchal to eat breakfast or lunch. Their incredibly stylish interior is super instagrammable with lots of jungle plants around. If you want to you can also sit outside. With a super healthy but tasty menu, this is your to go spot if you love smoothie bowls, want vegan options or a super tasty bowl filled with veggies, salmon or chicken and rice or couscous. Prima Caju is located at the ground floor of the Hotel Caju Le Petit Hotel, but you won’t notice that. We particularly liked the smoothie bowls, Prima bowl with Thai chicken and Meraki bowl with salmon. If you’re in for a sweet dessert of snack, the pancakes of Prima Caju are also highly recommended! This restaurant in Funchal will never disappoint you for a healthy but tasty brekkie or lunch!
Located in the São Martinho district, this is one of the more hip cafes in this area. With a retro 80’s style interior The Loft sets the vibe with relaxing music and friendly staff. Their varied menu has a selection of savoury breakfast options, salads or a great Açai smoothie bowl for the sweet tooth. The Loft offers pretty big plates for a reasonable price. The choice of egg dishes are varied but their menu also has vegan options. Great place for brunch, defiantly worth a try!
On top of Oudinot building, The Three House offers an endless panaromic view over Funchal city and the Atlantic Ocean with great food and cocktails. It’s actually a hotel, but outside guests can eat at the restaurant as well. Their stylish and instagramable rooftop bar with swimming pool invites you to enjoy this place for not only a quick breakfast or lunch. You can really see they have eye for detail in the selection of their menu, presentation and colour combination of the interior. The Three House provides some of the best rooftop bars and restaurants in Funchal with an extensive contemporary menu and beautiful presentation of the food.
It’s Fresh by the Snug
Tucked away in one of the streets close to the Farmers Market you will find this cute restaurant in Funchal. With the tropical feel interior, It’s Fresh provides a great varied many of colourful poke bowls, smoothie bowls and all sorts of wraps and toasted bread. It’s next to The Snug and part of that restaurant. We really liked the poke bowls here. Definitely worth a stop to grab some food in Funchal!
O. Giro Churros & Paninis
In the heart of Funchal centre is the cute restaurant O. Giro Churros & Paninis located. It’s on the same street as Prima Caju and offers great paninis, salads, wraps and churros for the sweet tooth. The portions are pretty big with reasonable prices and the fries that come with the sandwiches are amazing! Absolutely a great spot for lunch in Funchal with indoor and outdoor seating.
Mundo Vegan is just like The Loft located in the São Martinho district. This Vegan restaurant in Funchal offers a variety of hot and cold dishes such as vegan pancakes, colourful salad bowls, pasta, burgers, and risotto. For the sweet tooth there are cakes, smoothies, and fresh juices available. If you’re vegan this is a great restaurant in Funchal to have a meal. But if you’re spoiled like us with the incredible vegan food in Bali, then Mundo Vegan can’t beat that. However, the food is pretty good and of course very healthy! There is only indoor seating available but we didn’t find the interior a warm or cosy feeling. The chairs were also a bit uncomfortable to sit on.
Best Funchal restaurants for dinner
Whatever you like to eat for dinner in Funchal, there are plenty of options to choose from. Depending on your budget and taste, you can go for the affordable restaurants in Funchal that offer great meals for a price starting from €8. But for a fancy night out, you can book a table at one of the two Michelin star restaurants in Funchal. Of course you should at least try the typical espetada once when you’re in Madeira. But also seafood and sushi is amazing in Madeira. Below some of our favourite restaurants in Funchal for dinner, from the best seafood, espetada to burgers and Mediterranean food.
Santa Maria restaurante was one of our most favourite restaurants in Funchal. During the 7 months that we lived in Madeira, we went here at least once a month. Santa Maria Restaurante is located in the old town of Funchal in the charismatic Santa Maria street. With indoor and outdoor seating in their beautiful garden in the back, you will be assured of a relaxing dinner away from the hustle and bustle of Santa Maria street. The sushi at Santa Maria Restaurante is the best sushi in Madeira we had. Order a white sangria with your dinner and your taste buds will tingle from pleasure! The meat steak and tuna steak on hot stone are also fantastic as you can make them exactly how you like it. Absolutely highly recommend to try this amazing restaurant in Funchal! Certainly one of the best Funchal old town restaurants.
Santa Maria is some of the best seafood restaurants in Funchal with the best sushi in Funchal we had!
Book a Food, Wine & Culture walking tour
Are you a lover of good food and would you like to learn more about the best local flavors while absorbing the rich culture of Funchal? Then this walking food tour is the perfect tour for you! During this tour you will discover the exciting history of Funchal as you sample its flavors on a 3-hour guided walk. Hear about the city’s past, admire its architecture and of course try some famous Madeira wines. Taste traditional foods from restaurants and the local market. 11 food tastings and 6 drinks are included in the price and if you reserve now you can pay later with up to 24 hours cancellation in advance to receive a full refund.
Kampo by Chef Julio Pereira
Kampo is a very unique restaurant in Funchal with an incredible experience. The concept is that you can sit at the chefs table and watch how your food is being prepared. The amazing ambiance, high quality food and great service all contribute to a wonderful experience. Their Fushion cuisine is creative in terms of combination of the ingredients. Great seafood and the meat is soft and melts in your mouth! You can choose different plates to share which makes the experience of tasting different dishes a fun night out. Highly recommend this amazing and unique restaurant in Funchal!
Uva Restaurant at Hotel the Vine
The Uva restaurant is located on the rooftop of La Vie shopping Mall and part of Hotel The Vine. The incredible 360° view from the restaurant and bar overlooking Funchal city and the ocean will keep you in awe while eating. The gastronomic cuisine offers a great variety of delicious food that is cooked with fresh local products. French creative cuisine with balanced flavours well mixed in an incredible explosion of textures and tastes. The plates were very nicely prepared and presented and will give you an unforgettable fine dining experience in Funchal. Prices for the meals are not cheap, but it’s worth paying for the high quality.
Aconchogo is located in the São Martinho district, so not in the centre of Funchal. However, this restaurant offers amazing front seat views on the ocean! From the outside it does look a but like a tavern, but once you enter the restaurant you will see it has a lovely garden with sea view. The cosy atmosphere of Aconchego restaurant invites you to try their menu including seafood, Mediterranean, European and Portuguese dishes. A great extensive menu with choices for everyone! Certainly one of the most affordable Funchal restaurants with a view!
Goût is a pretty new restaurant in Funchal located near the Farmers Market. Their menu offers a great choice for lunch and dinner in Funchal with creative and fresh food served in an aesthetic way. It’s maybe not the cheapest place for dinner in Funchal, especially when you compare the prices, but the quality is very good and the food has a lot of taste!
Restaurante Santo Antonio
This is the best espetada restaurant in Funchal! If you want to try the local favourite dish espetada, then Santo Antonio Restaurante is the place to go. However, this restaurant is not in the centre of Funchal located. You have to get here with a rental car or taxi to Estreito De Câmara. The restaurant has little atmosphere inside, however the food is really good. The espetada and Bolo do Caco was at Santo Antonio some of the best we had in Madeira. The meat of skewer is very tasty and perfectly prepared on the stone oven.
Santo Antonio restaurante has the best espetada in Funchal!
The Snug Smoke House
For big burgers and smokey meat, you have to go to The Snug Smoke House. Their menu offers a great variety of burgers, chicken wings, pulled pork, smokey ribs, wraps, salads and more. Perfect for meat lovers, but if you want a vegetarian dish you can order it from the menu of It’s Fresh which is their other restaurant in the same street.
Where to stay in Madeira
There are several towns in Madeira that are great to stay while exploring the island. Funchal is the capital town of the island with the most restaurants around. It has a charming old town and all sorts of facilities you might look for such as a boulevard, shopping centre, cafe’s and nightlife. It is a great place to base yourself with plenty of culture and beautiful old buildings and charming streets to explore. There are also a few beaches in Funchal to enjoy the ocean. However these beaches are from pebble stones.
We have stayed in The Vine hotel and Okulus villa which are both beautiful locations. The Vine has the comforts of a hotel including breakfast and is located right in the city centre. Okulus villa is located in the Old Town with the most amazing ocean and city view.
If you want to be based near a sandy beach in Madeira, then Calheta is a great place. While Funchal is more to the east of the island located, Calheta is more to the west of the island located. So eventually you can also stay a few days in both towns depending the total length of your stay in Madeira. Calheta has an atmospheric marine with restaurants offering great spots to watch the sunset and enjoy a meal.
We have stayed a few weeks at Calheta Boutique Houses during our 7 months living in Madeira. Highly recommend these private villa’s as you have all the amenities you have at home as well. The modern design and amazing ocean views makes it a perfect vacation home.
Small villages in nature
If you want to experience really small towns to stay in Madeira, then check out the accommodations in Seixal, Porto da Cruz, Sao Vicente or Ribeiro Frio. Take into account that there will be less restaurants around but you will be completely immersed in the local life and nature.
Best Madeira island tours
If you want to explore the best of Madeira with a guide then here some great tours I recommend. During these tours you will pass by some of the best viewpoints which I share in this complete guide. All of these tours include transport with hotel pick up and drop off, certified guides and sometimes the entrance fees if applicable. You can reserve now and pay later, with cancellation up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
- Customized 6 hour Madeira tour. On this six-hour tour you can choose the different areas you want to visit on Madeira island. Pick the landmarks and iconic places to make your own itinerary with the help of your local guide/driver.
- West Madeira private tour. Starting in the fishing town of Câmara de Lobos you will drive via Cabo Girao, the highest cape in Europe, to the beautiful view of Serra d’Agua valley. From there you will head to São Vicente to explore the Laurisilva forest. Continuing north, you will visit Porto Moniz, known for its natural lava pools where you can swim. As last stop you will visit the famous rocks at Ribeira da Janela.
- East Madeira tour. Visit Pico do Arieiro viewpoint, make pictures at the Santana houses and the beautiful viewpoints at Porto da Cruz to finish the day at the impressive volcanic landscape of Ponta de São Lourenço.
- Canyoning adventure with transfer from Funchal. Get the thrill of canyoneering and explore Madeira’s untouched nature. follow a river as you walk, rappel, slide and jump through hidden waterfalls with streams that cross endemic forests. A super fun and adventurous day!
- Ponta de São Lourenço hike with pick up in Funchal. Explore the most eastern tail of Madeira island with its unique volcanic rock formations to understand how the island was created.
- Funchal 48-hour hop-on hop off bus tour. Explore the lush landscape of Madeira and the sights of Funchal at your own pace with a 2 or 5 day ticket for the hop-on, hop-off bus.
- Tuk-Tuk tour to Monte Tropical Garden with Toboggan ride from Funchal. Explore Funchal Old Town with a Tuk Tuk before making your way to the mountains to the stunning Monte Tropical Garden. There you will explore over 70,000 square meters of exotic plants. At the end of the tour you will enjoy the thrilling ride down the hill with a Toboggan ride.
- Funchal Old Town walking tour. Learn about the history of Funchal and Madeira on a guided walk through the city’s medieval center. Visit the farmer’s market, the Campo Almirante Reis. The Fortress of St. James, and a number of other sites as your guide provides commentary.
- Dolphin & Whale watching Luxury Catamaran Cruise from Funchal. Enjoy the views of Funchal from a luxury catamaran. Look out for whales and dolphins in their natural habitat as your relax on board and explore the underwater world with a snorkel.
- Scuba diving Madeira. Explore the underwater world of Madeira island. A theory lesson and practice in swimming pool is included. This before you will dive about 12 meters for 45 meters in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Sunset tour from Funchal by Catamaran. Watch the sunset off the coast of Madeira on a 3-hour evening catamaran cruise from Funchal and spot dolphins (guaranteed, or you get a 2nd trip for free).
General travel must haves for Madeira
Have you thought about how to get around in Madeira? A car is the easiest way to drive around the island.
- Book your rental car here and compare the providers to get the best deal.
- Book your scooter or motorbike here to get around in Madeira. Most of the scooters you can drive with driving license (A1/A2/A) from 18 years old, or from 25 years old with a car (B) license. The motorbikes have a minimum age of 20 or 21 with A (moto) license.
Do you prefer a private driver for the day and the freedom to create your own itinerary?
Did you already book your accommodation?
- Check out this great tool to compare prices of hotels on different platforms from around the world and book your favorite hotel
Are you insured during your travels?
- Buy your travel insurance here. Safetywing not only includes coverage for travel delay, lost checked luggage, emergency response, natural disasters and personal liability. But also covers all your medical expenses for hospitalisation.
More Madeira travel inspiration
I hope you enjoyed this blog post about the best restaurants in Funchal.
For more information about Madeira, head over to our other travel blogs.