Selong Belanak beach is a beautiful beach of approximately 1 kilometre long located 30 minutes west of Kuta Lombok. Surrounded by rolling hills, Selong Belanak beach lies in a beautiful sheltered bay in a largely uninhabited part of Lombok. The beach itself is made up of white powdery sand and some of the most clear turquoise waters on the island. It is listed as one of the best places in the world to learn surfing, but that’s not the only thing to do here! In this blog post you’ll find all the information you need about Selong Belanak beach Lombok.
Best Lombok tours
Some of the best ways to explore the island is with a guided tour. In this way your transport and itinerary is arranged, so you don’t have to think about anything else! All of these tours include air conditioned transport with hotel pick up and drop off, certified guides and sometimes also lunch and the entrance fees. You can reserve now and pay later, with cancellation up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
- North Lombok tour. Discover north Lombok island on this full-day guided tour. Visit the traditional Senaru Sasak tribal village and cool off at the Sendang Gile and Tiu Kelep waterfalls.
- Mount Rinjani summit trekking. Explore the highest peak of Lombok during this 3 day volcano hike up to the summit of Mount Rinjani. The porters will carry the luggage, 3 meals a day and all camping equipment are included.
- Lombok Southeast tour. Explore Lombok’s southeast coast during this private tour. Relax on the pinkish shores of Pink Beach 1 and Pink Beach 2 and marvel at the panoramic views of the coastline at several viewpoints.
- Tiu Kelep and Sendang Gile waterfall trekking tour. Visit the 2 majestic Sendang Gile and Tiu Kelep waterfalls near the foot of Mount Rinjani during this guided hike.
- Snorkel day tour to the Secret Gili islands. Explore the small islands off the coast of Lombok on a full-day snorkeling tour. Hope on a boat and visit Gili Nanggu for snorkeling and Gili Sudak and Gili Kedis for relaxing and a lunch stop.
- Benang Stokel and Kelambu waterfalls trek. Explore these beautiful four waterfalls in Mount Rinjani National Park during this guided tour and see the beauty of Lombok’s nature.
- Private Gili Islands snorkeling trip. Visit the three famous Gili Islands with a glass-bottom boat and explore the underwater world. Visit the Turtle Sanctuary in Gili Meno and get a 360° view of the Gili islands and Mt. Agung from Malaka Hill.
How to get to Selong Belanak beach
From Kuta Lombok, its a 30-40 min drive west. Selong Belanak beach is easy to find if you follow Google Maps. The beach has an easy access with only a two minute walk from the parking lot.
Entrance fee Selong Belanak beach
There is no entrance fee for the beach, but you need to pay 10,000 IDR parking fee per motorbike.
What to expect at Selong Belanak beach
Selong Belanak beach is one of the most beautiful Lombok beaches we’ve explored. In comparison to Kuta beach Lombok for example, this is a true paradise beach. Although it can get busy with surfers, there are still quiet areas where you can enjoy the beach and ocean for yourself. The approximately 1 kilometre long stretch of soft sand is filled for 1/3 part with warungs, surf schools and sun loungers. The other parts are quiet with not much people around. There is also a huge floating raft where you can walk on further into the sea. We saw lots of local children playing on the beach and the raft, so this is especially for families a great beach to go to.
Things to do at Selong Belanak beach
As said before, Selong Belanak is one of the best beaches in the world to learn surfing! The sandy bottom of the ocean and soft waves help to make the first steps into the world of surfing fun. There are many surf schools on the beach where you can book a surf lesson or rent a surf board if you’re not a beginner anymore. Surfing in Lombok is absolutely an unforgettable experience!
Relaxing & playing
If you are not surfing then relaxing and recharging your batteries has to be the priority here. The bay of Selong Belanak is extremely protected from the open ocean and is perfect for a casual swim or to enjoy the amazing hills and mountain tops. Either way, be sure to soak in the serenity and beauty that the area has to offer. The many warungs offer sun loungers and umbrellas for a small fee, or when you order food or drinks they are usually free to use.
When we visited this beach at the end of 2019, there was a huge floating raft where children and families were playing on. I’m not sure if it’s still there by the time of writing. But if it is, make sure to check it out!
Drone shot of the huge floating raft
There are several options you can choose from here. You can eat at the local warungs for a small price for example. They offer local dishes for both meat eaters, vegetarians and vegans. But if you’re in search for a more upscale restaurant with more choice and also international classics, then you should head to Laut Biru bar and restaurant which also serves delicious cocktails. Perfect to end the day with!
Watch the buffalos cruising the beach
Every day in the afternoon around 5 PM there is a parade with buffalos cruising the beach. This gives perfect photo opportunities, especially with the soft afternoon light. It’s a very fun thing to watch and gives that extra authentic and local vibe to this beach. The buffalos belong to a farmer from the traditional village of Lombok Selong Belanak who brings them back in for night time.
Where to stay near Selong Belanak beach
Sempiak Villas is the only luxury accommodation located right on the beach in the area and offers its guests a retreat with natural beauty, comfort and a cozy personal touch. The beautifully constructed wooden villas are perched atop Sempiak Hill overlooking Selong Belanak bay and are surrounded by lovely landscaped gardens. The hotel villa rooms are spacious with a private bathroom, free wifi, 24 hour service and free private parking. There is also a Spa at the accommodation and the bar & restaurant Laut Biru. If you want to explore more of Lombok island, you can book different day trips and tours with them.
More Lombok travel guides
We hope you enjoyed this blog post about Selong Belanak beach Lombok. If you have any questions, let us know!
For more inspiration about Lombok, read these guides: