Unawatuna beach is the most popular Sri Lanka beach among tourists and locals. Unawatuna beach offers many water activities for visitors and there are sun-beds on the beach for rent. On the west side of the beach, you can take a stroll to the Japanese Peace Pagoda statue overlooking the beautiful Indian ocean. Unawatuna beach is very well connected to the centre of Unawatuna where you will find hip cafes and restaurants. Find in this complete guide everything you need to know about Unawatuna beach Sri Lanka.
Best tours in and around Galle
- Galle Fort and Madu River Guided Tour with Boat Trip. Discover the wonders of Southern Sri Lanka on this guided trip to Galle Fort and the Madu River, a Ramsar wetland. Explore Galle on foot and relax on a cruise amongst lush greenery and wildlife.
- Private Safari Day Trip to Yala & Udawalawe w/ Picnic from Galle. See incredible nature and wildlife on a private guided full-day jeep safari adventure to two national parks, Yala and Udawalawe. Enjoy a picnic lunch and benefit from hotel pickup and drop-off.
- 2-Day Southern Sri Lanka Tour including whale watching from Colombo. During the 2 day tour you will see some of the most interesting places in southern Sri Lanka and enjoy spectacular whale watching.
- Transfer to Ella with Udawalawe Safari from Mirissa. Enjoy a convenient shuttle service from Mirissa, Weligama, Unawatuna or Galle to Ella with a safari through Udawalawe National Park on the way. See wildlife in their natural habitat and enjoy a meal.
- Private Day Trip to Turtle Hatchery & Madu Ganga From Galle. Experience the natural biodiversity of Sri Lanka on a private day trip from Galle. Visit Lunuganga Geoffrey Bawa’s Country Estate, a turtle hatchery, Balapitya, and take a boat tour on the Madu Ganga.
- From Galle: Yala Safari with Lunch at Campsite. Experience a private full-day tour to Yala National Park from Galle. Witness leopards, bears, elephants, deer, crocodiles, and many more. Then enjoy a 4-course lunch with beer at Leopard Nest campsite in the jungle.
- Turtle Hatchery Visit, Boat Safari, and Galle Tour. Discover the wonders of southern Sri Lanka on a day trip from Kalutara. See baby turtles up close at the Kosgoda Hatchery, enjoy a boat ride along the Madu River in Balapitiya, and soak up the historic atmosphere on a guided tour of Galle.
- Galle and Bentota Day-Tour From Colombo. Discover Sri Lanka’s Madu Ganga River Region on this boat safari tour. Visit a cinnamon garden. See stilt fishermen at work. Learn about local wildlife at a turtle hatchery, and explore the Galle Fort— a UNESCO heritage site.
Best time to visit Unawatuna beach
The best time to visit Unawatuna is from December – April, and from July until the end of September. In between those months you have more chance of rainfall because of the monsoon. Temperatures in Sri Lanka will be great and warm throughout the year, but on the south coast along the beaches it will always be a bit warmer than more inland.
What to expect at Unawatuna beach
Unawatuna beach is a beautiful banana-shaped beach of golden sand with turquoise water, surrounded by green palm trees and beautiful coral reefs. Because this beach is one of the better known beaches in Sri Lanka, it is also one of the busier places. There are lots of restaurants scattered along the beach, so if you’re hungry or thirsty you don’t have to walk far to order something.
Unawatuna is also one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka to learn surfing. For some people this beach might be a bit too busy, but luckily there are many other beach options nearby. You can explore Jungle Beach or Secret Beach Mirissa for example if you like the smaller, quieter and more hidden beaches.
Things to do around Unawatuna beach
If you’re looking for the things to explore around Unawatuna beach, I have the best places summed up here.
Japanese Peace Pagoda
Very close to Unawatuna beach in the forest on the hillside is the impressive Japanese Peace Pagoda located. Constructed in 2005 by Japanese monks to build peace temples in conflict zones, the monument is a symbol of hope for people all over the world. It’s now a popular tourist attraction and with incredible views over the bay of Galle the perfect place to take in the impressive Sri Lankan sunsets.
Visit Galle Fort
Just a few kilometres from Unawatuna is Galle, an Unesco World Heritage Site with imposing Dutch-colonial buildings, ancient mosques, churches and the famous lighthouse. It is really worth the day trip to explore this old town. Walk over the thick ramparts which were built by the Dutch merchants that controlled the city in the 17th century. There are also lots of cute boutique shops and cosy cafes and restaurants to fuel your body.
Swing on the Palm tree swing
If you go to Dalawella beach, you will find the famous palm tree swing and the ship rock. Both are awesome photo spots and really worth a visit. Especially with sunset. You need to pay a little fee for the palm tree swing, but the Ship Rock is free of charge.
More Sri Lanka travel inspiration
I hope you enjoyed this complete guide about Unawatuna beach Sri Lanka.
For more Sri Lanka travel inspiration, head over to our other Sri Lanka travel guides: