Tanjung Aan is a beautiful pristine beach from about 1km long in Kuta Lombok. You kind of get ‘two for the price of one’ with double bays sweeping along either side of the peninsula. It is known to be one of the best beaches in Lombok, and we can agree with that! Fine white sand, turquoise waters and small beach shacks selling fresh coconuts and local food. Tanjung Aan beach is heaven! In this blog post you will find all the information you need about Tanjung Aan beach Lombok.
Best Lombok tours
Some of the best ways to explore the island is with a guided tour. In this way your transport and itinerary is arranged, so you don’t have to think about anything else! All of these tours include air conditioned transport with hotel pick up and drop off, certified guides and sometimes also lunch and the entrance fees. You can reserve now and pay later, with cancellation up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
- North Lombok tour. Discover north Lombok island on this full-day guided tour. Visit the traditional Senaru Sasak tribal village and cool off at the Sendang Gile and Tiu Kelep waterfalls.
- Mount Rinjani summit trekking. Explore the highest peak of Lombok during this 3 day volcano hike up to the summit of Mount Rinjani. The porters will carry the luggage, 3 meals a day and all camping equipment are included.
- Lombok Southeast tour. Explore Lombok’s southeast coast during this private tour. Relax on the pinkish shores of Pink Beach 1 and Pink Beach 2 and marvel at the panoramic views of the coastline at several viewpoints.
- Tiu Kelep and Sendang Gile waterfall trekking tour. Visit the 2 majestic Sendang Gile and Tiu Kelep waterfalls near the foot of Mount Rinjani during this guided hike.
- Snorkel day tour to the Secret Gili islands. Explore the small islands off the coast of Lombok on a full-day snorkeling tour. Hope on a boat and visit Gili Nanggu for snorkeling and Gili Sudak and Gili Kedis for relaxing and a lunch stop.
- Benang Stokel and Kelambu waterfalls trek. Explore these beautiful four waterfalls in Mount Rinjani National Park during this guided tour and see the beauty of Lombok’s nature.
- Private Gili Islands snorkeling trip. Visit the three famous Gili Islands with a glass-bottom boat and explore the underwater world. Visit the Turtle Sanctuary in Gili Meno and get a 360° view of the Gili islands and Mt. Agung from Malaka Hill.
How to get to Tanjung Aan beach
Tanjung Aan beach is located in South Lombok, 20-minutes east of Kuta. The road to this beautiful beach is easy to find but there is a lot of construction of new hotels going on in the area. In 2020 the last part to Tanjung Aan beach is unpaved and therefore can be a bit bumpy. The access to the area is quite easy and can be reached by cars or motorbikes. You can see beautiful farms and local villages along the road while enjoying the view of the coast and coconut trees.
Aerial view of Tanjung Aan bay
Continue driving until you see the sign for “Turtle Warung” and “Warung Surfer Beach”, almost in the middle of the first cove. If you can’t find it, ask one of the local boys hanging out along the road. This is where you’ll find some of the amazing warungs where you can relax for the day and order cheap food and drinks. The sun loungers at warung Turtle are free when you order something to drink or eat.
The view when you arrive
Entrance fee Tanjung Aan beach
There is no entrance fee for the beach, but parking costs 10,000 IDR per motorbike. This is normal, just like in Bali. The money is, as they say, used to clean the beaches or make a roof for the parking.
What to expect at Tanjung Aan beach
Tanjung Aan beach is a perfect place for those who want to relax, snorkel and swim. Surrounded by hills and palm trees, this is one of the best beaches on Lombok island. The waves are quite calm and the depth of the sea is pretty shallow. These are the perfect ingredients for a chill day along the beach combined with swimming in the crystal clear waters.
Along the beach are several warungs and beach shacks offering drinks, food and sun loungers. It can get a bit crowded in the middle of the day, so make sure to arrive early if you want to have a nice sun loungers. However, the beach is big enough that you can find a secluded spot if you’re willing to walk further from the parking lot. This is actually the best beach in Kuta Lombok as Kuta beach itself isn’t that appealing with lots of fisher boats and rubbish on the beach.
If you don’t own or forgot your snorkeling equipment, some warungs and local boats which provide necessities for snorkeling. But you can also book a Lombok tour by boat where you will explore the coast and best snorkel spots. During the afternoon, the waves are getting higher so surfers can enjoy themselves.
Something you have to do when you’re at Tanjung Aan beach, is climbing Bukit Merese before sunset. From this hill you will have an amazing view on Tanjung Aan bay and the other bay on the west side. Sunset from this place is incredible and a must do in Lombok!
The hill you can see on this drone photo is Bukit Merese. The bay is Tanjung Aan beach
This the view from Bukit Merese with sunset
The “down side” of Tanjung Aan beach
The only negative thing I can say about Tanjung Aan beach and Lombok in general, is that the hawkers are very pushy. You will get asked to buy something at least every 10-minutes. Mostly by kids selling bracelets and women selling sarongs and other fabrics. Some of them won’t take no for an answer and sit down even though you shake your head and say no repeatedly. The best thing to do is to lay down and pretend to sleep, or say “no English” haha
There is also a lot of construction going on in South Lombok, which is positive regarding the great new infrastructure. But it sometimes can feel as if you’re on a construction site…
Other things to do in Kuta Lombok
Except the beautiful beaches and viewpoints, there are many other fun things to do in Kuta, and of course the rest of Lombok! Explore the many beautiful Lombok’s waterfalls or the tropical secret Gili Islands. Surf the great waves along the south coast of Lombok or if you’re into trekking, then book a 2 day tour to climb Mount Rinjani. Families and couples usually go to the beach resorts in Senggigi to relax while Kuta is more for the backpackers and surfers. You can read more in our free Lombok travel guides!
Waterfalls or Secret Gili Islands… Where do you go next?
More Lombok travel guides
We hope you enjoyed this blog post about Tanjung Aan beach in Kuta Lombok. If you have any questions, let us know!
For more inspiration about Lombok, read these guides: