Phaeng waterfall Koh Phangan is the biggest and most beautiful waterfall on the island in a jungle area with a steep hiking path and a popular lookout point. But don’t be disappointed when you visit the waterfalls in Koh Phangan in dry season, because there won’t be any water running down! So be well prepared and know when it is the best time to visit Phaeng waterfall Koh Phangan. In this blog post I will give you all the tips you need before visiting and the best months to visit Phaeng waterfall Koh Phangan.
Best Koh Phangan tours
Besides exploring this awesome waterfall on Koh Phangan, there are also lots of other fun activities to do to explore the lush, untouched island. There are many tours to book, below are the ones I highly recommend. All of these tours include certified guides and for the adventurous activities also accident insurance. You can reserve now and pay later, with cancellation up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
- Private One day road trip around Koh Phangan. Hop in an airconditioned SUV car and explore the most beautiful parts of Koh Phangan in this private 7 hour tour.
- ATV Jungle Safari Tour Koh Phangan. Experience a completely off-road adventure and explore the vibrant jungle and panoramic viewpoints of Koh Phangan.
- 2 hours Jet Ski Safari Tour in Koh Phangan. Go for a speedy adventure in Koh Phangan and explore the beautiful waters and coastline while feeling the rush of adrenaline.
- Koh Phangan 7 hour beach discovery tour. Discover the best and most hidden beaches around Koh Phangan or customize your own program within 7 hours to explore the best of Koh Phangan island.
- Off-road trip tour in a 4×4 truck around Koh Phangan. Explore the mountain jungle and hidden beaches of Koh Phangan during this off road adventure tour in a 4×4 truck.
- One day trip to AngThong Marine park by speedboat including lunch. Explore Ang Thong National Marine Park in a speed boat from Koh Phangan and swim, snorkel and kayak to explore the beautiful National Park.
- Sailing Yacht experience to AngThong Marine Park & Koh Phangan 3 days/2 nights. Sailing, fishing, swimming, kayaking, eating, watching the sunset and much more during this 3 day 2 night sailing yacht tour around AngThong Marine Park.
- PADI Open Water Diver Course in Koh Phangan. Get your PADI Open Water Diver Certification in 3 days. This package includes 4 Open Water Dives, all required learning materials, dive equipment and resort transfers.
How to get to Phaeng waterfall Koh Phangan
Phaeng waterfall is located in the middle of the island with a decent road going straight to the parking area of the waterfall. It’s only a five minute drive from one of the other Koh Phangan waterfalls, Paradise waterfall. All the local attractions are pretty well signposted on Koh Phangan, so if you’re travelling with your rental scooter just type the below address into Google Maps and it’ll be easy to find!
Address: Phaeng waterfall, Ko Pha-ngan, Ko Pha-ngan District, Surat Thani 84280, Thailand.
Opening hours: Phaeng waterfall is open from 8 AM – 4 PM everyday. However, because of the heat, I’d recommend visiting in the early morning.
What to expect at Phaeng waterfall Koh Phangan
Phaeng waterfall is part of the Than Sadet National Park and is made up of two separate falls. Phaeng Waterfall (also known as Phaeng Noi Waterfall) and Khan Ban Dai Waterfall. You will first pass Phaeng Waterfall when entering the park near to the entrance. This is the most famous waterfall of the island and the star attraction of the park. In the right season, it is really worth it to visit Phaeng waterfall. But in the dry months the water flow decreases significantly which can feel a bit underwhelming. There is even a chance there is no water running down, so you will get a view like this.
The second one, Khan Ban Dai Waterfall, is around 500 metres up in the jungle and is a nice little stream which trickles all the way down. If you enjoy hiking we recommend going to the top. This hike goes to the Dom Sila viewpoint which is also one of the best hikes on Koh Phangan. The entire surrounding is full of natural beauty, lush green vegetation and plenty of wildlife. You can see a variety of animals, including tropical birds, bugs, butterflies and the occasional monkey. There’s a large plunge pool at the base of the waterfall where you can dip in to cool off after the hike.
Best season to visit Phaeng waterfall Koh Phangan
The best time to visit any of the waterfalls on Koh Phangan is after rainfall. Usually the monsoon season is from July – October or November. But the climate changes and also in Koh Phangan it sometimes doesn’t rain for months. So you have to be really lucky to see the Koh Phangan waterfalls in full power. Monitor the weather forecasts and try to visit one of the waterfalls after a heavy rainstorm. Of course you don’t want heavy rain during your time on the island, but most waterfalls dry up when there’s no rainfall for a longer period. Or the water flow decreases significantly what makes the waterfalls a bit underwhelming.
Other things to do at Phaeng waterfall Koh Phangan
Once you are done with exploring Phaeng waterfall Koh Phangan, you can continue hiking upwards till you reach the beautiful Dom Sila viewpoint. Keep going further, and you will end up at the top of Khao Ra, the highest mountain peak on the island! About 630 metres above sea level, the Khao Ra viewpoint provides spectacular views of the entire island and even the neighbouring island of Koh Tao! Well worth it to take your time to explore this area!
Things to keep in mind when visiting the Koh Phangan waterfalls
- The best time to visit any of the Koh Phangan waterfalls is from July – October, the monsoon season. Or if you can’t make it in that period, after a heavy rainstorm. Most waterfalls dry up at other times, or the water flow decreases significantly so the waterfalls aren’t spectacular anymore.
- Always carry drinking water with you as most waterfalls are located in the dense jungles and it get’s very hot. You will be thirsty after the hiking as well!
- Be very careful about where you step! The trails and rocks near the waterfalls can get slippery from all the moisture. Also watch out for rocks with dangerously sharp edges!
- Wear proper hiking shoes. For example special shoes which have good grip and can get wet because sometimes you have to cross a little stream of water. Good grip is most important, hiking in flip-flops is a bad idea!!
- Don’t forget to bring your swim clothes, a towel and dry clothes.
- Smoking and alcohol consumption is forbidden at most waterfalls.
- If you see a stream of water that is flowing fast, don’t try to cross it. The current is probably stronger than you think! And if you’re not sure about how deep the stream is, test it with a stick to find out where the bottom is.
Best time to go to Koh Phangan
You can visit Koh Phangan year-round, although there is a rainy season which lasts from September until November. The dry season is from late December to March and this is also the peak season. The weather is hot, bright and not too humid, just the perfect circumstances for lounging on the fantastic beaches of Koh Phangan.
More Koh Phangan travel inspiration
For more travel tips about Koh Phangan, head over to these blog posts:
For more travel inspiration to Koh Tao, head over to these blog posts:
Planning to travel to Koh Samui? Then head over to this blog post: