One of the must activities to do in Ella is hiking up Little Adams Peak. The view from the summit of the mountain is just incredible, and you don’t have to walk as far as when hiking up the big Adams Peak Sri Lanka. The best view, and light for photography is when you go with sunrise or sunset. Whenever suits your schedule best. But if you’re in Ella, you definitely need to do the Little Adams Peak hike. The short and easy hike is a great option for every age and offers some of the best views of Sri Lanka. Find in this blog post all the information you need before hiking Little Adams Peak Ella, also known as Mini Adams Peak.
Best tours in and around Ella
If you’re planning to explore the best of what Ella has to offer, then these are the best guided tours. All of these tours include air conditioned transport with hotel pick up and drop off, certified guides and sometimes also lunch and the entrance fees. You can reserve now and pay later, with cancellation up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
- Ella Rock & 9 Arch Bridge, Little Adams Peak with transfer. Take a guided hike to the famous Ella Rock, 9 Arches Bridge, and Little Adam’s Peak. Hike through beautiful tea plantations and enjoy sweeping views of the island’s hill country on this private tour.
- 1-Hour Mega Zip Line Adventure in Ella. Get the adrenaline pumping with this 1 hour mega dual zip line at Flying Ravana located amidst the luscious green estates of Ella.
- Private guided tour to hike Little Adams Peak and visit Nine Arch Bridge. Experience the Sri Lankan countryside on a hike to the summit of Little Adam’s Peak. Take a cross country hike to Demodara Railway Station, walking over the famous Nine Arches Bridge with its extensive history.
- Private guided sunrike hike Ella rock. Take an early morning hike up Ella Rock to meet the sunrise with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- Diyaluma Falls Full-Day Tour with Lunch from Ella. Take a trip to Sri Lanka’s second-highest water fall and experience the natural beauty of Diyaluma falls, enjoying a small hike, lunch, and a refreshing dip in pristine waters along your journey.
- Safari to Udawalawe National Park from Ella. Enjoy an unforgettable safari tour at Udawalawe National Park, a sanctuary for many Sri Lankan wild animals. See the beautiful elephants and a diverse range of species with the assistance of an expert guide.
- 2 day tour to a Tea factory in Nuwara Eliya, Ramboda falls, Horton Plains and more. Visit the scenic hill country, surrounded by the evergreen valleys and tea estates. Witness the beautiful Ramboda waterfall and Horton Plains National Park.
- Ella & Little Adam’s Peak All-Inclusive Tour. Discover the mountain village and stunning scenery on a full day hiking tour to Ella. Experience Ella Gap from the top of both Ella Rock and Little Adams Peak and visit 9 Arch Bridge, one of the iconic bridges in Sri Lanka.
- Tuk-Tuk Safari Day Trip and Tea Fields Hike with Lunch from Ella. Drive through the Sir Lankan countryside on a tuk-tuk safari on this day trip from Ella. Take a guided hike on a tea plantation and stop for a picnic lunch before visiting the Dambatenne Tea Factory.
- Haputale: Tea Plantation, Safari, & Lipton’s Seat Day Tour. Discover Sri Lanka’s historic tea plantations and imagine life as a tea farmer, on this tour of the most prominent sites in Haputala and Kandy. Ride a trusty tuk-tuk rickshaw through the well-kept farms and wild mountainsides.
- Ella: Lipton’s Seat tour with Dambetanna Tea Factory visit. Enjoy the panoramic views of Lipton’s Seat in the central highlands of Sri Lanka. Enjoy a Sri Lankan lunch before you wander through tea plantations and see the full process of tea making at the Dambetanna tea factory.
How to get to Little Adams Peak
From Ella’s main street it is only 1.5 kilometres until you reach the start point to Little Adams peak. The trail starts right next to Ella Flower Garden Resort, so if you put your navigation on that resort, you can’t miss the car park and signs.
The way up to Little Adams Peak is very easy to find and the trail is clearly marked with signs showing the way. You will pass a local village and the dirt road goes through beautiful green tea fields. Enough spots to stop and take some pictures! It took us around 45 minutes in total to get to the top.
There is no entrance fee or parking fee for Little Adams Peak.
What to expect at Little Adams Peak
Little Adams Peak is 1141m above sea-level and offers amazing views on Ella Gap and mountains in the far distance. Because Ella is located in the mountains, you start the hike already at a high elevation. So during the hike you will only go up a few hundred meters. The complete trail up to the top is a well-maintained dirt path with stairs leading you to the first viewpoints.
The trail begins on a dirt path as it winds through tea plantations and a local village. Before sunrise they played beautiful local music through the speakers in this small village, which was so special to hear while walking along. An incredible way to wake up!
Once you get closer to the peak, there are a few platforms of viewpoints which are perfect photo opportunities overlooking the valley. But you have to keep walking along the ridge of Little Adams Peak as the view gets better and better!
As you continue along the ridge, the trail gets a bit more challenging and steeper. So watch your step and be prepared to get a little bit dirty maybe. When you managed your way up and down at this last part of the trail, you will see the final viewpoint. This impressive view will amaze you and is the perfect back drop for some epic pictures!
Can you imagine that, after I changed my hiking outfit for the white dress as shoot outfit, I hiked and climbed this last wild part in my white dress for this picture?!
It did turn out amazing as we may say so. Wearing a color that stands out from the landscape is always a plus, especially if the person becomes so small like me in this shot! It also gives a great perspective on how immense the landscape is and how little we are as human.
Best time to go to Little Adams Peak
The opinions are divided about the best time to go to Little Adams Peak. One thing is for sure; don’t do it at the middle of the day! We went with sunrise and had an absolute magical sunrise with the best colours and light we could wish for. It might also depends on the season you’re visiting Sri Lanka. Because during our stay in September, it rained a lot during midday and evening, while we had dry mornings. That made us decide to go for sunrise instead of sunset. But I also did hear about beautiful sunset experiences here. So decide for yourself if you want to wake up early or go for a sunset hike! Either way for just a short hike, Little Adams Peak gives you unbelievable views and is the ideal way to spend sunrise or sunset in Ella!
If you have a zoomlens, definitely take it with you to the top! There are amazing spots to use it, especially if your model stands on a rock further up on the mountain ridge with the other mountains looming in the background. Also the layers you can catch using the zoomlens is just something magical! A drone is also a perfect photography tool to use here, but be aware of the signs that drones may cause bee attacks.
Weather in Ella Sri Lanka
Ella has an average temperature comparing to Colombo where it is very warm most of the time, and Nuwara Eliya where it can become very cold. Towards the end of the year, it will get colder in Ella. Especially in December when the temperatures will drop to around 10 degrees. There is also more change of rain in Ella than the South coast. On average, October is the wettest month in Ella and March is the driest month. But rain can fall anytime, so be prepared! That’s also the reason why it’s so beautifully green in the valley of Ella.
More Sri Lanka travel inspiration
I hope you enjoyed this complete guide about Little Adams Peak in Ella, Sri Lanka.
For more Sri Lanka travel inspiration, head over to our other Sri Lanka travel guides: