LAXAPANA FALLS SRI LANKA – The Complete Guide
Laxapana waterfall is a beautiful picturesque waterfall situated in the town of Hatton in Nuwara Eliya district. With a height of 126 meters, Laxapana Falls is the eighth tallest waterfall in Sri Lanka and ranks as the 625th highest waterfall in the world! With a stunning natural plunge pool at the bottom of the falls, you can dip in the pool to cool off after the hike down. The power with which the water thunders down is impressive and results in silvery foam which makes the waterfall super photogenic. In this blog post you will find everything you need to know about Laxapana Falls Sri Lanka!
Best Sri Lanka waterfall tours
If you want to explore the best waterfalls in Sri Lanka, then these are the best guided tours. All of these tours include air conditioned transport with hotel pick up and drop off, certified guides and sometimes also lunch and the entrance fees. You can reserve now and pay later, with cancellation up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
- From Ella: Bambarakanda & Lanka Ella Falls Hike with Lunch. Hike to Bambarakanda and Lanka Ella Falls on this day trip from Bandarawela or Ella. Stop at Lanka Ella Falls for a picnic lunch with a chilled beer and take a refreshing swim.
- Diyaluma Falls Full-Day Tour with Lunch from Ella. Take a trip to Sri Lanka’s second-highest water fall and experience the natural beauty of Diyaluma falls, enjoying a small hike, lunch, and a refreshing dip in pristine waters along your journey.
- Belihuloya: 2-Day Tour with Waterfall Walk and Rock Pool. Explore Belihuloya with an overnight stay in this remote village. Enjoy nature walks with your guide to see waterfalls, rice fields, and tomato fields, and take a dip in a natural rock pool.
- Waterfalls Trek via Devil’s Staircase to Bambarakanda Falls with Picnic. Embark on a private guided trek to Sri Lanka’s highest waterfalls through an area called the Devil’s Staircase. Swim, enjoy a picnic, and explore a tea plantation village.
- Horton Plains and Bakers Fall tour. Visit Baker’s Falls, World’s End, and experience the diverse landscapes and a wide variety of wildlife in Horton Plains National Park.
- Kitulgala: White Water Rafting & Waterfall Rappel with Lunch. Indulge in an all-inclusive experience in Kitulgala, well-known for its adventure activities. Feel the thrill of river rafting, rappel down a waterfall, and enjoy a delicious lunch buffet and snacks.
- From Ella/Haputale: Plantations and Diyaluma Waterfall with Picnic. Ride in a tuk tuk to see the the tea, rubber, cocoa, and black pepper plantations with this private tour from Ella or Haputale. Visit the Millenium and Pilkington viewpoints and Diyaluma Falls.
How to get to Laxapana Falls Sri Lanka
If you stay in the Nuwara Eliya area it is around 2 hours and 20 minutes drive to get to the waterfall. That was the reason why we stayed in Hatton for a few days to explore the area and waterfalls, including this one and Aberdeen Falls, around Hatton. With Google Maps you will get to the entrance of the Laxapana Falls. Because it’s not that clear where the startpoint for the trail is, I took this picture to show you exactly which path you need to take to get to the bottom of the waterfall.
Best time to visit Laxapana waterfall Sri Lanka
The best time to visit Laxapana Falls is from September to December. Because the rainfall in the area is at its peak during these months, the waterfalls appear magnificent during this time. The powerful waterfalls makes it also the perfect circumstances to take spectacular photos.
What to expect at Laxapana Falls Sri Lanka
The downward climb to the bottom of Laxapana Falls consists of more than 500 steps through dense flora and along local houses. If you reach the bottom you will be amazed by the picturesque waterfall which tumbles down. The impressive and enormous height of 126 meters makes it the eighth highest waterfall in Sri Lanka. Laxapana Falls is formed by Maskeliya Oya, a major tributary of the Kelani river. The Laxapana Falls are partly an energy source for the nearby Hydroelectric Power Plant station.
At the bottom of the Laxapana Falls you can take a dip into the pool while enjoying the spectacular view on the mountains. But be careful! The currents can be strong, so if you want to swim here, always use your common sense!
Watch the short video we made about Laxapana waterfall below!
If you have several lenses and, or, a drone, it is highly recommend to use them when you’re at the Laxapana waterfall! There is enough space to move around and use different focal lengths. This will give you different perspectives of the waterfall. And especially if you have a person to put into your frame, you can really show the perspective and the height of the waterfall. See below the different angles with the different lenses that we shot here.
If you want to learn more about different focal lengths, then read this blog post
Read in our complete guide 10 waterfall photography tips
The first image is obviously, shot with a drone and the second picture with a wide angle lens, the 8-18mm.
The first image is shot with a 25mm lens and the second picture with a 42.5mm lens on our Panasonic G9 camera.
Nuwara Eliya weather
The climate in Nuwara Eliya is generally cool with a higher chance of rainfall than the rest of Sri Lanka. This is also the reason why there are so many waterfalls in this area and why it is so intense green with all the beautiful tea fields.
The wettest months in Nuwara Eliya are October until December. The peak season with most dry is from March until May.
More Sri Lanka travel inspiration
I hope you enjoyed this complete guide about Laxapana Falls Sri Lanka.
For more Sri Lanka travel inspiration, head over to our other Sri Lanka travel guides:
20 best things to do in Sri Lanka – The Ultimate Guide
11 best Sri Lanka beaches – The Ultimate Guide
14 best waterfalls in Sri Lanka – The Ultimate Guide
Best things to do in Nuwara Eliya – The Ultimate Guide
Nuwara Eliya tea plantations – The Complete Guide
11 best things to do in Trincomalee
Best things to do in Galle – The Complete Guide
15 best things to do in Ella – The Ultimate Guide
Best thing to do in Kandy – The Complete Guide
Lion Rock hike – The Complete Guide
Hi Ilse, your pictures about the Laxapana falls in Sri Lanka are beautiful. Thanks also for the great tips about photography !