If you’re planning to go to Koh Samui Thailand then of course you want to know what the different possibilities are to get to the island. It depends on where you’re coming from what the best way is to get there. Traveling by plane to Koh Samui is by far the easiest and fastest way. But for every budget is a possibility to arrange transport to this beautiful island! Read further to find out how to get to Koh Samui and what the best way is for you!
How to get to Koh Samui from Bangkok
- Airplane: Flying to Koh Samui airport directly from Bangkok is the easiest and fastest way. But you can also fly to Surat Thani airport, which is cheaper than flying directly to the island. Then you take the arranged bus from Surat Thani airport to the pier and board the ferry. Take into account that this adds at least 3 hours to your travel time. Calculate how much money you would save by flying to Surat Thani. But don’t forget your other costs!
- Train: If you want to save money on accommodation for one night, you can take the overnight train. It departs from Bangkok’s Hualamphong station and goes to Surat Thani train station. The ride takes between 9 and 12 hours depending on the train. From Surat Thani train station you board a bus that takes you to the Don Sak ferry terminal where you hop on the ferry to Koh Samui. The bus from Surat Thani to the pier and the ferry to the island takes about 4 hours in total. If you take the overnight train it is highly recommended to book at least 5 days in advance. But in high season the sooner the better.
- Bus: Absolutely the cheapest way to get to Koh Samui from Bangkok. No reservations required, just show up at the bus station Sai Tai Mai terminal in the south of Bangkok and the bus will leave within an hour. You can choose between VIP, air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned buses. They leave between 5 am and 8 pm. The VIP and AC buses have toilets and reserved seating. Every bus will take you directly to the Don Sak ferry terminal in Surat Thani which takes 10 to 12 hours from Bangkok. At the Don Sak pier, you hop on a ferry for 1.5 hours to get to the island. Be sure to buy a bus and ferry combo ticket!
Ferry companies that go from Surat Thani to Koh Samui: SeaTran Ferries, Lomprayah Ferries, Raja Ferries. (haal je deze link nog weg?)
How to travel to Koh Samui from Phuket
- Airplane: Also from Phuket you can fly directly with Bangkok Airways to Koh Samui. It definitely is the easiest and fastest way of getting to the island with only a 60 minutes flight.
- Bus & ferry: You can buy a combi ticket at 12Go Asia and travel by bus from Phuket bus terminal 2 to Raja ferry pier Surat Thani, where you will hop on the ferry for the last part oversea to the paradise island. This will take you about 7 – 10 hours of traveling, depending on the ticket and time you choose.
Best way to travel to Koh Samui from Krabi
- Airplane: From Krabi is also the possibility to fly directly with Bangkok Airways to Koh Samui. It definitely is the easiest and fastest way of traveling with only a 50 minutes flight.
- Bus & ferry: You can buy a combi ticket at 12Go Asia and travel by bus or minivan from Krabi town, Krabi airport or Ao Nang beach to the pier. There you’ll hop on the ferry to arrive 1.5 hours later on the paradise island.
How to travel to Koh Samui from Chiang Mai
- Airplane: The most convenient and fastest way to travel from Chiang Mai to Koh Samui is without a doubt with the airplane. Bangkok Airways flies directly from Chiang Mai to the island in a little 2 hours for around €100.
- Train: If you want to travel cheaper and save money on accommodation for one night, you can take the overnight train from Chiang Mai to Surat Thani. There you will go with a minivan to the pier and hop on the ferry to the island.
- Bus & ferry: You can buy a combi ticket at 12Go Asia and travel by bus from Phuket bus terminal 2 to Raja ferry pier Surat Thani. There you will hop on the ferry for the last part oversea to Na Thon pier Koh Samui. This will take you about 7 – 10 hours of traveling, depending on the ticket and time you choose.
How to transit to Koh Phangan from Koh Samui
If you want to see more of the surrounding islands of Koh Samui then you might want to continue your journey to Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. Traveling to these islands is very easy with the ferry. It’s the only way of getting to the other islands as there are no airports at Phangan and Koh Tao.
There are several locations on Koh Samui where you can find a pier, all with different ferry providers. So whether you stay in the north, south or West, there is always a pier nearby!
Another tip to visit around Koh Samui is a day trip to Ang Thong marine park. This nature park is protected and so incredibly beautiful! You can easily book s day trip when you’re on one of the islands.
Koh Samui weather
If you’re planning to go to Thailand, of course you want to go in the best months with the driest days. The weather in Thailand varies by area. The monsoon in the Gulf of Thailand usually lasts from October through December with November as the wettest month. February and March, on the other hand, are the sunniest months. January is (statistically) the coolest month and April the hottest time of the year. Broadly you can travel to Koh Samui from January until October to have the best chance on a sunny vacation.
Where to stay on Koh Samui
Of course this depends on what you prefer in activities and what your budget is considering hostels, hotels or beach resort where you can choose from. But also the area depends on what you are looking for. If you’re looking for entertainment and nightlife you have to stay around the Chaweng area so you’re close to Bophut beach and Fishermans village. But if you’re more into relaxing and quiet beaches, then book your accommodation around Lipa Noi beach or around Maenam beach area as it’s much quieter.