Hong Island, also known as Koh Hong, is located in Krabi, South Thailand and is technically a group of four islands. It is part of the Than Bok Khorani National Park and is known for the impressive limestone formations. A visit to Hong Island makes you feel as if you’ve entered a different world! It’s certainly one of the most beautiful places in Thailand. But not only the limestone cliffs and blue turquoise water are impressive, also the soft white sand beach of Hong Island is really beautiful. Another must visit spot on the island is Hong Lagoon, for which you have to go through a narrow rock-opening. In this blog post you’ll find everything you need to know about a boat tour to Hong Island and you will see why a day trip to Koh Hong in Krabi is an absolute must-do!
How to get to Hong Island Thailand
Hong island is located in the beautiful Phang Nga Bay in between Phuket and Krabi. You might know Phang Nga Bay from the famous James Bond Island. You can book tours to Hong Island including pick up from Krabi Town, Klong Muang, Ao Nang Beach or Tub Kaek Beach. There are a few different tours possible. You can either choose for the following Hong Island tours:
- Hong Island Sunset, BBQ & Night snorkeling tour. This amazing tour will give you a secluded beach experience. Hike up to Koh Hong viewpoint for the sweeping panorama view with sunset. After that you will sail to Lading Island for some more paradise vibes before a delicious BBQ dinner on Pak Bia Island. When twilight strikes and you’re in the right period of the moon cycle, the bio-luminescent plankton will make the ocean look full of stars which is amazing for night snorkeling.
- Hong Island day tour including lunch, snorkeling and Kayak (if selected). During this tour you will be picked up from your hotel in the morning. From the longtail boat you can admire the emerald waters of Hong Island Lagoon and upgrade to a kayak experience. Enjoy a delicious buffet lunch in the shade on the beach at Hong Island before exploring the underwater world at Lading Island or Paradise Island.
- Four Islands & Koh Hong private boat tour. Enjoy a unique combined tour of the famous 4 Krabi Islands and Hong Island by private long-tail boat. Swim in the crystal clear water at the 4 Islands, relax in the emerald green water of Hong Lagoon, and enjoy your lunch on the beach.
What to expect at Hong Island Thailand
We departed from Koh Yao Noi where we stayed in the incredible resort of Six Senses Yao Noi. The boat ride took only 15 minutes to the Hong Islands. It was impressive to see the tall limestone rock formations coming closer and getting bigger and bigger.
First stop: Hong Lagoon
Before going to Hong Island beach we made a stop at the back of Hong Island where a beautiful blue lagoon is hidden. Entering the lagoon goes through a narrow rock opening and once you’re inside you will be surrounded by all the tall limestone cliffs. If you like, you can go snorkeling here or swimming. We saw many jelly fish in the lake so we skipped this time, but it looked very appealing!
Second stop: Hong Island beach
The next stop was Hong Island beach. Finally we could go exploring the beach and the island! On arrival of Koh Hong, you will be asked to pay an entrance fee of 400 Baht per person for the National Park Thanbok Kharanee. After that, you’re free to go and explore!
Hong beach is separated into two parts by an impressive limestone rock. On one side of the beach you will see the jetty where longtail boats and speedboats arrive and where you’ve paid the entrance fee. The more beautiful part of Hong beach is just opposite located behind the big rock where you will find a beautiful bay to swim and do some snorkeling in between the tropical fish living in the shallow water. There are also hammocks mounted in between palm trees to relax in the shade.
The sand on Hong beach is incredibly white and soft and the water is beautifully turquoise clear blue. It’s such an impressive location with the impressive tall limestone cliffs in contrast with the green, turquoise hues of the water. I would almost say Hong Island is the lesser known Maya bay of Thailand!
There are 2 small shops opposite of the huge rock where you can buy drinks. Obviously the prices for these drinks are much higher than on the mainland. So make sure to bring your own reusable bottle of water to save some money and so you don’t have to use unnecessary plastic in this paradise.
What to prepare
There are a few things you should bring or prepare before going to Hong Island Thailand. Find our tips here.
- Of course put on biodegradable sunscreen and take it with you to avoid a sunburn. Please make sure to be a conscious traveler and use BIODEGRADABLE sunscreen. There are no chemicals used for biodegradable sunscreen, so it doesn’t affect the coral and fish
- Bring your own reusable water bottle so you’ll stay hydrated during the day
- A hat to protect your head from the sunshine or a heatstroke (if you’re sensitive to that)
- Take a GoPro with you if you have one, or at least a camera to capture all the beauty
- Put on your swim clothes
- Bring a towel
- Mostly the tour operators have snorkels and masks, but if you want to go snorkeling, check with your guide up front to make sure he has the gear for it.
More Thailand travel guides
We hope you enjoyed this blog post so you’re well prepared for a day tour to Hong Island Thailand. If you have any questions, let us know!
The area of Phang Nga Bay is wonderful, there is so much to explore! You can either explore more of Krabi or go to Phuket. But the other more remote islands of Thailand, like Koh Yao Noi or Koh Yao Yai are also absolutely worth a visit! Especially for people who like to travel a bit more off the beaten path. For the party people, Phi Phi island is a great option.
For more inspiration about Thailand, read these guides: