Hin Wong Bay is a beautiful beach with the large boulders surrounding the beach in a secluded small bay. The crystal clear waters of Hin Wong Bay offers one of the best Koh Tao snorkeling spots. Due to the rock formations it is difficult to walk around Hin Wong Bay, but you can rent a kayak to get around. The beach is not that popular as Sairee beach for example, which makes Hin Wong Bay the perfect place to relax for peace seekers. Read everything you need to know about Hin Wong Bay in this travel guide! Book your half day snorkeling trip to the best snorkel spots on Koh Tao here.
Best Koh Tao tours
If you want to explore Koh Tao then it is highly recommended to book your tour in advance. Choose your favorite tours here and secure your booking! All of these tours include air conditioned transport with hotel pick up and drop off, certified guides and sometimes also lunch and the entrance fees. You can reserve now and pay later, with cancellation up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
- Thai Cooking Class Koh Tao. Rainy afternoon or just interested to learn Thai cooking? Then this activity is for you! In a small group you will learn how to cook Thai from a local expert. After cooking the dishes you will enjoy them and leftovers can be taken home.
- Half Day fishing experience Koh Tao. Enjoy this private half day fishing tour around the waters of Koh Tao. Learn how to catch fish and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
- PADI 4 day diving course Koh Tao. Get PADI certified during this 4 day scuba diving course. All lesson material, dives, equipment and the official certificate are included.
- Half day snorkeling trip to hidden bays of Koh Tao. Start your morning at 8AM with snorkeling in some of the hidden bays of Koh Tao. You will visit Freedom Bay, Shark Bay, Aow Leuk Bay and Tao Thong Bay during this half day snorkel tour.
- Private Photo Session with Local Photographer in Koh Tao. The perfect way to capture your solo trip, honeymoon, family vacation or couples photoshoot with 100% money back satisfaction guarantee on Koh Tao.
- One day diving experience Koh Tao. If you don’t have your PADI certificate but you want to go diving in Koh Tao, then this is the tour for you. During this one time scuba diving experience you will explore the underwater world of Koh Tao at 12 meters depth.
- Koh Nang Yuan snorkel day trip by speedboat. Explore the best snorkel spots around Koh Tao and Koh Nang Yuan during this half day snorkel trip. You can see many tropical fishes, turtles and maybe even black tip sharks!
How to get to Hin Wong Bay
Hin Wong Bay is located on the east coast of Koh Tao Island, just a little above Tanote Bay. The main road goes down to the parking lot where you can park your vehicle for free. The best way to get around the island is with a motorbike, if you are comfortable driving one of course! You can rent one for about 150 – 200 Baht per day. Ao Hin Wong Beach is also free of entry and is only a short 2-minute walk from the parking area to the beach.
What to expect at Hin Wong Bay
Hin Wong Bay is just a small beach surrounded by a lot of boulders. There were not many people when we went to this beach. But due to the amazing marine life, this is definitely one of the best Koh Tao snorkeling spots. There was a restaurant close to the beach when we went, but it was not open at that time. So take some snacks and enough drinks with you if you here and want to stay hydrated
Things to do at Hin Wong Bay
The two best things to do at Hin Wong Bay are sunbathing and snorkeling! There are several underwater pinnacles covered in fertile coral, anemones and many kinds of fish can be seen while snorkeling at Hin Wong Bay. For one of the best Koh Tao snorkeling spots, go across to the area in front of the beach on the south side of Hin Wong Bay. The water there is incredibly clear and you might be lucky enough to see a big school of sardines in water less than a metre deep. Another good place for snorkelling is in the north of Hin Wong Bay. Also there is lots of well preserved coral and abundant marine life! If you want to be active there is also the option to rent kayaks at the beach!
Koh Tao weather
The climate on Koh Tao is hot and humid for most of the year. The rainiest months are October, November and December, so avoid these months. The best moment to come to the Koh Tao is from January to April but the island is also enjoyable during the months of March until August. At this time of the year Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao have the best weather of all Thai islands.
Where to stay on Koh Tao
The Place Luxury Boutique Villas
The Place Luxury Boutique Villas offers amazing one-bedroom villas in Koh Tao with an incredible view on the ocean located on the west coast of the island. We stayed at The Place for 2 nights and had the best time! You have complete privacy with your own dining area at the spacious terrace. A fully-equipped kitchen with a wide-range of cooking equipment. The air-conditioned bedroom offers a direct access to the outdoor infinity pool with an amazing view on the mountain and sea wit sunset view. The bathroom is beautiful with details of plants and the living room includes a flat screen TV and a DVD player for entertainment. Breakfast is not included but you can order at local restaurants and get it delivered to your door! This villa has so much privacy, we havent experienced before!
Prices start around €245 per night.
Simple Life Cliff View Resort Koh Tao
Simple Life Cliff View Resort is located at the southern tip of Koh Tao’s Sairee Beach and offers luxury studios, 1 and 2 bedroom suites. The rooms with view on the swimming pool start around €65 per night wile the more luxury rooms with breathtaking view of Sairee Beach and the ocean start around €198 per night. This 3 star resort offers a private beach area, free Wifi and room service The cascading swimming pool runs through the centre of the resort and their restaurant serves fantastic Thai and international cuisine. A continental breakfast is daily available at the resort.
Prices start around €65 for the pool view rooms up to €198 per night for the sea view rooms
The Ozo Koh Tao
Here you will enjoy a peaceful hillside location located in the south of the island. The cozy, comfortably furnished rooms offer a living space of 32 – 40 square meters and are equipped with all the necessities for a relaxing stay. The amenities available in the rooms include air conditioning, refrigerator, TV, safe, hot shower, tea and coffee making facilities, free WiFi Internet and a private balcony or terrace from where you can enjoy views of the pool and mountains. Some of the rooms also have a kitchenette with a microwave. The outdoor pool with sun loungers makes it perfect for a lazy afternoon. We stayed for a few days at the Ozo and it was a great budget deal!
Prices start around €33.
Of course there are also even cheaper accommodations on Koh Tao, like hostels and guesthouses where you can stay for around €10 per night. Have a look at booking.com to find your perfect spot!
More Koh Tao travel inspiration
Read more about Koh Tao, Thailand, in these blog posts:
For all best tips about Koh Phangan, head over to these blog posts:
Is your plan to travel to Koh Samui? Then read this blog for all the best things to do in Koh Samui