CABO GIRÃO SKYWALK MADEIRA – Visit the highest cape of Europe!
The Cabo Girão Skywalk is one of Madeira’s most popular tourist attractions because it’s so easy to reach and provides stunning views. Cabo Girão is one of the highest sea cliffs of the world with 580 meters above sea level and is only a 20 minute drive from the centre of Funchal. The glass walkway offers breathtaking views straight down to the crashing waves and cliff below. If you suffer from vertigo, be warned because you might get dizzy here! Besides the glass platform there is also a cafe and souvenir shop on site. Read in this blog post everything about the Cabo Girão Skywalk, practical information such as opening times, entrance fee and what to expect.
Book here your private guided tour to Cabo Girao
Book here your guided tour to Cabo Girao including Poncha tasting in a Classic VW
Best Madeira island tours
If you want to explore the best of Madeira with a guide then here some great tours I recommend. All of these tours include transport with hotel pick up and drop off, certified guides and sometimes the entrance fees if applicable. You can reserve now and pay later, with cancellation up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund.
- Customized 6 hour Madeira tour. On this six-hour tour you can choose the different areas you want to visit on Madeira island. Pick the landmarks and iconic places to make your own itinerary with the help of your local guide/driver.
- Private guided tour to Cabo Girao. Explore the highest cape of Europe and the fishing village Câmara de Lobos on the way back to Funchal.
- Guided tour to Cabo Girao including Poncha tasting in a Classic VW. Start your tour from Funchal in a beautiful Classic VW and drive to Cabo Girao to enjoy the incredible views. On the way back you will taste the traditional Poncha in historic bars.
- West Madeira private tour. Starting in the fishing town of Câmara de Lobos you will drive via Cabo Girao, the highest cape in Europe, to the beautiful view of Serra d’Agua valley. From there you will head to São Vicente to explore the Laurisilva forest. Continuing north, you will visit Porto Moniz, known for its natural lava pools where you can swim. As last stop you will visit the famous rocks at Ribeira da Janela.
- East Madeira tour. Visit Pico do Arieiro viewpoint, make pictures at the Santana houses and the beautiful viewpoints at Porto da Cruz to finish the day at the impressive volcanic landscape of Ponta de São Lourenço.
- Canyoning adventure with transfer from Funchal. Get the thrill of canyoneering and explore Madeira’s untouched nature. follow a river as you walk, rappel, slide and jump through hidden waterfalls with streams that cross endemic forests. A super fun and adventurous day!
- Funchal 48-hour hop-on hop off bus tour. Explore the lush landscape of Madeira and the sights of Funchal at your own pace with a 2 or 5 day ticket for the hop-on, hop-off bus.
- Dolphin & Whale watching Luxury Catamaran Cruise from Funchal. Enjoy the views of Funchal from a luxury catamaran. Look out for whales and dolphins in their natural habitat as your relax on board and explore the underwater world with a snorkel.
- Ponta de São Lourenço hike with pick up in Funchal. Explore the most eastern tail of Madeira island with its unique volcanic rock formations to understand how the island was created.
- Scuba diving Madeira. Explore the underwater world of Madeira island. A theory lesson and practice in swimming pool is included before you will dive about 12 meters for 45 meters in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Funchal Old Town walking tour. Learn about the history of Funchal and Madeira on a guided walk through the city’s medieval center. Visit the farmer’s market, the Campo Almirante Reis, the Fortress of St. James, and a number of other sites as your guide provides commentary.
- Sunset tour from Funchal by Catamaran. Watch the sunset off the coast of Madeira on a 3-hour evening catamaran cruise from Funchal and spot dolphins (guaranteed, or you get a 2nd trip for free).
- Tuk-Tuk tour to Monte Tropical Garden with Toboggan ride from Funchal. Explore Funchal Old Town with a Tuk Tuk before making your way to the mountains to the stunning Monte Tropical Garden. There you will explore over 70,000 square meters of exotic plants. At the end of the tour you will enjoy the thrilling ride down the hill with a Toboggan ride.
General travel must haves for Madeira
Before we dive into Cabo Girao Skywalk, let’s check a few things to make your travels in Madeira easy and safe.
Have you thought about how to get around in Madeira? A car is the easiest way to drive around the island. Read in our complete guide everything you need to know about Car hire in Madeira
- Book your rental car here and compare the providers to get the best deal.
- Book your scooter or motorbike here to get around in Madeira. Most of the scooters you can drive with driving license (A1/A2/A) from 18 years old, or from 25 years old with a car (B) license. The motorbikes have a minimum age of 20 or 21 with A (moto) license.
Do you prefer a private driver for the day and the freedom to create your own itinerary?
Did you already book your accommodation?
- Check out this great tool to compare prices of hotels on different platforms from around the world and book your favorite hotel
Are you insured during your travels?
- Buy your travel insurance here. Safetywing not only includes coverage for travel delay, lost checked luggage, emergency response, natural disasters and personal liability. But also covers all your medical expenses for hospitalisation.
How to get to Cabo Girão Skywalk Madeira
The Cabo Girão Skywalk is located in the small town of Câmara de Lobos and is a 20 minute drive from the city centre of Funchal. There are a few ways to get to the entrance of the skywalk, with renting a car being the easiest way. There is a huge parking lot where tour buses and cars can park for free. If you don’t have a rental car, you can reach Cabo Girão by bus from Funchal and Câmara de Lobos. The easiest route is bus 7 from Funchal to Ribeira Brava. This bus stops in Camara de Lobos and Cabo Giro right in front of the entrance. For a different experience you can even go by train which runs from Câmara de Lobos to Cabo Girao! This Green train costs €7.50 per adult for a round trip.
Opening times and entrance fee Cabo Girão Skywalk
The opening times of the skywalk are during the winter months daily from 8 AM – 7 PM and in the summer months from 8 AM – 9 PM. The entrance is for free, but there has been reported to be an admission fee of €0.50 during the summer peak season.
The Cabo Girao Skywalk is very wheelchair friendly which are many other viewpoints in Madeira as well!
Best time to go to Cabo Girão Skywalk
With a 180 degree view you can see sunset most of the times from the skywalk. And if you’re really persistent also sunrise when it’s after 8 AM. But there are better places in Madeira to watch the sunrise, so I wouldn’t advice that. The best circumstances on the skywalk are with a blue clear sky or during sunset. The average amount of visitors during peak season is 1800, so then you can expect the skywalk to be busy during the whole day. A lot of coach tours stop here for a 15 minute visit. During some of the quieter months you can enjoy the cliffs in more peaceful environment with only a few other people visiting the glass platform. When you’re patient you can maybe have the place for a few minutes for yourself!
What to expect at Cabo Girão Skywalk Madeira
Visiting the Cabo Girão Skywalk is certainly not an attraction for the faint hearted! The suspended glass platform juts out of the side of some of the highest cliffs in Europe which is a bit more than 580 meters above sea level. You can see the waves crashing underneath you and Fajã de Cabo Girao which is the piece of land that sticks out. More about that in the next paragraph.
From the platform you’ll have incredible views on the Southern coastline of Madeira and Funchal. You can see the mountains behind Funchal which gives a beautiful perspective on the geographic form of the island which originated 5 millions years ago. The scenery gets even more beautiful when the lights in and around Funchal turn on after sunset. All the way up the mountain you can see little lights which is a magical view.
Sunset at the Cabo Girão Skywalk
We went a couple of times to the skywalk during our 6 month living on Madeira Island. During sunset it is extra magical because you have that panoramic 180 degree view on the ocean, and the colours can get crazy if you’re lucky! During the peak season you can expect it to be busy, but during shoulder and low season you might be lucky to have a spot for yourself!
Take the Rancho Cable Car down to Fajas de Cabo Girão
Through the glass platform you can see Fajã de Cabo Girao which is a small area of cultivated land called where farmers cultivate their crops. A Fajã is actually a landslide or dried up lava stream which makes the soil very fertile. In 2003 a cable car was installed for easier access by farmers, so you can now also visit the Fajã de Cabo Girao by cable car!
With the Rancho Cable Car which connects the viewpoint “Rancho” to Fãja de Cabo Girão you can explore this land and its deserted pebbled beach. Attached to the cable car near the viewpoint is a restaurant where you can enjoy a typical dish from Madeira with wonderful ocean views.
Other facilities at Cabo Girão
On site there is a cafe which serves great coffee, juices and fresh bread! Enjoy the view bit longer and grab a seat on the terrace. Next to the cafe is a souvenir shop and toilets which costs €0,50.
More Madeira travel inspiration
I hope you enjoyed this full guide about the Cabo Girão skywalk in Madeira.
For more Madeira travel inspiration and the must visit destinations, head over to our other blog posts about Madeira island.
50 best things to do in Madeira – The Ultimate Guide
40 best photo spots in Madeira – The Ultimate Guide
30 best viewpoints in Madeira – The Ultimate Guide
30 best hikes in Madeira – The Complete Guide
25 best things to do in Funchal – The Ultimate Guide
25 best waterfalls in Madeira – The Ultimate Guide
20 best levada walks in Madeira – The Complete Guide
20 best restaurants in Madeira – The Complete Guide
15 best sunrise viewpoints in Madeira – The Complete Guide
15 best sunset viewpoints in Madeira – The Complete Guide
12 best beaches in Madeira – The Ultimate Guide
12 best Funchal restaurants – The Complete Guide
All about Poncha – The Ultimate Guide
All about Madeira wine – The Ultimate Guide
Hi ILse, we enjoyed reading your info about the spectaculair Cabo Girão Skywalk on Madeira island. Wow, to stand on the glass platform, 580 meters above sealevel must be breathtaking.